I would like to have had a technology like Ansible Tower when I was running my own hosting company a decade ago. @Sacha, @Pesche: You really impressed me and the auditorium.
Key Takeaways from the talk:
- Using Ansible playbooks for automation will provide you with the following benefits: everything is documented, You know the state of all your IT environment, Auditability, Changes are traceable, Reproducibility, Reporting, Standartization, Ansible playbooks are simple and human readable. Ansible is agent-less. Ansible is version controlled
- Ansible benefits from a huge community. Ansible ships with over 1250 modules, to name a few: AWS, Azure, Docker, Google, OpenStack, OpenSwitch, Slack, …
- You can leverage Ansible as well for Windows workloads
- Ansible Tower is an enterprise framework for controlling, securing, managing and extending your Ansible automation. It comes with a UI and a RESTFul API. With the API you can automate the automation. Think e.g. about automation with your external services and applications.
- Ansible Tower provides
- role-based access control
- deployment of entire applications with a push-button deployment
- centrally logging of all applicationn
- @mumenthalerp, @DuboisSacha70: great life demo deploying WordPress and Maria DB on Microsoft Azure with Ansible.
If you want to run the demo yourself you find the resources here: https://github.com/sa-ch/ansible-azure-deployment.